The dynamic Team Grid in Cascade builds itself from the StrengthsFinder® themes of your clients. Customise the display to show different levels of themes to suit the team or your workshop. Save time with the automatic calculation of the statistical information which highlights the top 5 themes for the team.
The Enhanced Team Grid in Cascade is a flexible page to display several team combinations in a range of formats.
- Choose which names to display with several filtering options.
- Sort the names by the defined columns, by a theme or by a domain.
- Choose to display the Top 5, the Top 10 or the Top 10 with the bottom 5 themes.
- Add your own logo and enter a name for the team.
- Identify which parts to print or save to a .PDF.
Client / Team selection
Using Excel’s Data Filtering feature, it is possible to select people based on a range of criteria. Click on the down arrow next to the desired column heading, then tick or untick the categories or people required. Repeat this for as many columns as necessary.
To reset the filtering, click on the Clear Filters button to restore the complete list of clients.
The Theme Table page sets up the column names and their contents.
Having everything together helps to identify suitable partners who may be in a different department. It also provides a view of the whole company or your complete client base, where you can easily find all the people with a specific theme.
Tip: If you select people based on a specific theme, or other criteria, it is possible to Copy and Paste their email addresses into Outlook to email them about an interesting blog post or Theme Thursday webinar.
Note: Some Mac computers do not support the sort option in Cascade. To overcome this, there are buttons on the Theme Table to sort the names into your preferred order.
Cascade version 2 introduces simpler display features to adjust the page to your liking. The menu at the top of the page provides buttons to change the settings.
- Client Names – Showing several team combinations on The Team Grid leads to discussions how the weightings across the domains can affect the dynamics of a team. If you display real teams, you may want to hide the names of the people to protect their privacy. To Show or Hide the names, click on the Client Names button.
- Column E (Area) – The Area column on the Team Grid comes from the Theme Table. Sometimes you may not want this. Click on the Column E (Area) button to show or hide this column.
- Column F (Team) – The Team column on the Team Grid comes from the Theme Table. Sometimes you may not want this. Click on the Column F (Team) button to show or hide this column.
- Row 5 (Totals) – Below the theme names are the number of times that theme appears in the Team Grid. Green highlights identify the top 5 themes for the team. The unique themes (with a count of 1) are in blue and themes which are not present for the team are in grey. This is a handy guide to direct conversations when discussing the overall strengths of a team. The theme totals bar only shows the values when the Display Themes are for the Top 5 or the Top 10.
Click on Row 5 (Totals) to show or hide this row.
- Row 7 (Headings) – When printing the Team Grid, a blank row appears below the theme totals bar. This row contains the headings for the Name column. You may want to remove the row by clicking on Row 7 (Headings) to show or hide it.
It is possible to change the Team Grid contents to display just the Top 5 themes, the Top 10 themes, or the Top 10 themes with the bottom 5 (Lesser) themes. This is particularly useful when there is a mixture of the number of themes available for people across the team, some with all 34 themes and some with just their top 5 themes.
Click on the Display Themes button to rotate between each option.
Note: When selecting the Top 10 with the Bottom 5 theme option, the theme totals bar goes blank.
To make printing easier, the Print Preview button saves you navigating the menu selection through Excel. There is also an additional benefit. Cascade has the capacity to store 500 clients, which amounts to around 17 pages. If you only want to print the relevant pages containing your clients, the Print Preview button adjusts the print settings to the right number of pages, removing wastage. This is more important for those with the Go Large module, as the 2000 client capacity stretches to 64 pages. Potentially a lot of wasted paper.
If there are problems displaying recently added clients or the references to the Theme Table page show #REF. The Refresh Page button at the top will restore the page formulae and formatting. After sorting or adding names on the Theme Table page, it is best to run the Refresh Page process. Note: Running the Refresh Page takes a few seconds to complete.
Using this example;
- 53% of all the themes for the group are in the Relationship Building Domain.
- 6 people in the group have themes in this Domain.
- The 6 people collectively have 16 Relationship Building themes between them.
These totals summarise the details collected for each person on the right of the page.
To customise your Team Grid report, enter the name of the team near the top left. This example imaginatively uses the name ‘Team A’. The other team reports in Cascade pick up on the name entered here for their team name headings.
The number of people shown in the box represents the total number of people selected in the grid.
Add your Logo
To personalise the page it is possible to add your logo or your customer’s logo. From the menu bar click on Insert, Picture then locate the image file. Resize and position the image in the space at the top left of the page.
The Domains follow the order of; Strategic Thinking, Influencing, Relationship Building and then Executing. In general, this is the natural order of events as they occur. We work out what we need to do, get others on board, bring people together, then do the task. Hence when coaching others, going through the domains in this order gives a more natural flow to the discussions. The order is explained more in the 4 Leadership Domains article.
The Task orientated domains are on the outside with the people-centric domains in the middle. This order also supports conversations on what happens when the presence of a domain is absent.
To create a PDF or show the Team Grid in PowerPoint, check out the Support Hub.
When should you introduce the Team Grid? The Gallup article Is your team ready for the Team Strengths Grid suggests some helpful tips.