Creating PDFs with Mac Mojave / Catalina
The Mojave release of Mac version 10.14 introduced a few extra security features which affect Cascade. These changes also affect the more recent Catalina 10.15 version. Creating PDF files requires the granting of permission for Excel to write to the relevant folders.
Set up the folder to save the PDFs
Identify the base folder for the saving of PDF files. You only need to do this part once.
- From the Cascade Menu, click on the Settings tab
- Click on Insert Path to set the destination path for the PDF files.
- Click on Test Path and it will probably show a Print Error or error 1004.
It is able to create the Cascade folder but due to the lack of permissions it not able to open it.
- Close the error message to return to the Settings page.
- Highlight and Copy the Folder Path in the box.
- Open Finder, select Go from the top menu and click on Go to Folder.
- Paste the Folder Path into the box.
You will see the Cascade folder in Finder but again due to the permissions will not be able to open it.
Grant Permission to the Folder
With Mac Mojave, each folder must have permissions set for Excel (Cascade) to create files.
- In Finder, Right Click on the Cascade folder and select Get Info.
- At the bottom of the new window are the Sharing & Permissions settings. Next to your username, click on the word Custom.
- In the small box, select Read & Write.
- In the Settings page for Cascade, click on Test Path and it should return the Success message.
Create PDFs of the Reports
You are now ready to create PDFs.
- For the desired report, click on the PDF button.
- You may see a message to Grant File Access, see the section below for instructions.
- The PDF report will appear in the Cascade folder.
- Use Finder to locate and view the PDF file.
Grant File Access for Excel
You may see a message asking for Excel to have access to the folder.
Click on Select then Grant Access for Microsoft Excel.
You should only need to do this part once.
Use the same folder when creating PDFs
After creating all your PDFs you can move the files to your customer folder leaving the /cascade/ folder empty.
Occasionally you may experience an error message if Cascade cannot create the PDF file on your computer. See the list of error messages to help you find a solution.
Microsoft Office version
According to Microsoft, Mac Mojave needs Office version 16.16.2 or above to function properly. This is Office 2019.
More details are on this Microsoft article