Search Cascade Support
How do I Enable Macros?
You need to Enable Macros for Cascade to run properly. Many of the features and buttons use automation in the form of macros. Without the macros, the screens will not populate properly or update.
How to Enable Macros
When opening Cascade on a Mac, a message box appears saying the workbook contains macros. Click on Enable Macros and you can start using Cascade.
In Windows, you may see a yellow bar at the top with a security warning.
Click on the button to Enable Content, allowing macros to run. You should only need to do this the first time you open Cascade. If you rename or move the file, it may ask you again.
Alternatively in Windows, you may see a pop-up box with a Microsoft Excel Security Notice.
Click on the Enable Macros button.
Cannot Run the Macro – Error Message
When opening Cascade for the first time, you may receive a message
‘Cannot run the macro [macro name]. The macro may not be available in this workbook or all macros may be disabled.’
Windows may be blocking the Cascade file preventing the macros to run. Follow these steps to unblock the file.
- Close your Cascade file.
- Open Windows Explorer and browse to the folder containing your Cascade file.
- Right click on the Cascade file and select Properties.
- In the Security section, tick the box to unblock the file.
- Click on Apply then try opening Cascade again.
Security Risk Error Message
After receiving Cascade in an email, you may see a warning from Microsoft.
Security Risk Microsoft has blocked macros from running because the source of this file is untrusted.
To fix this, save the Cascade file to a folder on your computer – preferably in your Documents area. Then follow the procedure above to unblock the file.
Check the Macro Settings
In Windows, you may need to adjust the Trust Center settings if none of the messages appear.
- Open the Trust Center with File, Options and Trust Center.
- Click on Trust Center Settings.
- Click on Macro Settings.
- Under Macro Settings, select Disable all macros with notification.
- Click OK to close the settings.
You may need to close Excel, then reopen it, for the settings to take effect.
Further information is available at Microsoft Support.
Change the Security Settings for a Folder to Enable Macros
To save adjusting the security settings each time you download a Cascade file, you can create a Trusted Location. Any Cascade file in that location will be trusted so macros can easily be enabled. Follow these steps in Excel to create a Trusted Location.
- In Excel, click on File, Options, then select Trust Center.
- Click on Trust Center Settings – to the right of the screen.
- Click on Trusted Locations to see what is already trusted.
- Use the Add new location button then type in or browse to the folder for trusting.
Need More Help?
Support for Cascade is available from Gallup Customer Services at email@example.com or via Chat in Access.